Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Who Am I?

I am 20 years old and I am a student at John Brown University. I am currently a digital media major but really not sure if that is what I want to do the rest of my life. I am dating the most amazing girl in the world and excited about the things to come in our lives. We pray that God will use us to further his kingdom and that we will honor and respect him through everything we do. Through this journey called life we have experienced highs and lows but one thing that we have found that never changes is the love of God for us. We desire to serve him with everything in us and we have come to find out that if we are not living our lives for God than there is no reason to be living. We have found that he is the sustainer of all living things and without him we are hopeless. Finding his intent for our imprint in our lost world of today is what we are striving to seek.
I have been blessed with an amazing Christian family that has raised me to discover that I cannot be separate from Christ. Since I was a little boy I have had the desire to be involved in ministry some way and people would ask me the question… “Where will go?” I was quick to respond back… “Wherever God leads me.” I think back then it was more to impress people with such a cool answer but today I sit here in my college dorm room saying the same thing. I want to be where God is leading me to go and the only difference between then and now is that I am more in love with my Savior. He has inspired me to be more like him and I fail so much but I keep getting back up and trying all over. I have been blessed with an amazing co runner in my walk for Christ and she picks me up where I slack and helps me get back on the right track. Shelly has been such an inspiration to me growing in my Christian walk over the past year. We came together because of Christ and it is through Christ that we have been able to live through struggles. We are at the point that our greatest fear is not losing one another but that we could lose sight of God’s direction. Together we run this race beside one another and realize more and more that it is a team thing instead of an individualistic thing.
Growing up in the heart of Branson Missouri I have been raised around great influences and one of those would be Kanakuk Kamps. If you are not familiar with it you should check them out because they are making it happen. It is a Christian Athletic Sports Kamp dedicated to teaching kids the attitude of Christ through sports. I have grown up with Kanakuk and have always had the desire to work there but for some reason I felt like I could never be able to get my foot in the door. During my junior year of High School I really began to question my faith and wondering if what the world had to offer me was better. So as the school year went on I began to cuss and stopped reading my bible because I knew that was the last thing that I wanted to do. In the back of my mind I knew that God was real because he had been there for me all my life and I would think about him a lot during that time. I really began to feel lonely and empty because I knew that God was just waiting for me to turn back to him. One day I got a call and it was Dave Janke and he asked me if I wanted to come and work for Kamp as a videographer and I was like sure. Immediately I knew something was going to have to change in my life because there was no way that I could be living two different lives. So I got my act together and stopped cussing and started to read my Word. That summer was the best summer of my life because it was then that I realized that I had missed God so much in my life. I got into my bible deep and it was lonely whenever I did not have it on my all the time. I read so much about the life of Paul and how he made so many sacrifices for the gospel and then realized that no matter how many he made for Christ it would still never add up to what Christ had done for him.
Today I am typing this about me because I have to understand that on a daily this life I live is not mine but Christ’s in me. So as insignificant my life is to this world it means so much to my heavenly father. So as I live my life I pray that I live it to the glory of God and the day that I don’t I hope that God takes it from me. I am a gift but God’s gift to me is far more than me. There is something greater to live for and that is for Jesus Christ.
Your Bro,
Garrett

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry...once when you said you want to find "his intent for your imprint on the world" and again when you said our greatest fear shouldn't be anything other than "losing sight of God's direction"... thanks for these encouraging words Garrett, they meant alot to me. I'm praying for you, for your finals and projects and most of all that you will indeed find yourself right in the center of the "sweet spot" God has planned for you!

    ReplyDelete